How to avoid cavoodle puppy scams in Australia and find an ethical cavoodle breeder
During the pandemic many scammers took advantage of Australians looking for a cavoodle to add to their family.
So how do you avoid a cavoodle puppy scammer? Well, here are some things to look out for that are suspicious and how to find an ethical cavoodle breeder in Australia.
Things to look out for that are suspicious that scammers do:
- Use words like “cavapoo” instead of cavoodle. Cavapoos are american terms referring to the exact same breed, however Australian breeders will only call them cavoodles, not cavapoos.
- Target you on social media pages like facebook. If you belong to any cavoodle facebook groups and make posts about wanting a cavoodle, you might find you could become an easy target for a cavoodle scammer because they might see you are desperate.
- Set up fake looking websites, if they do they will pick fake or re-used pictures of cavoodles they might find online, the information and spelling sounds bodgy and there is no real information about the breeder themselves and where they are from and the process.
- Use fake advertisements on google or social media platforms with landing pages to make you enquire.
- Price the puppies really low (lower than market rate) if the price is too good to be true, it probably is!
- They will only ever speak to you by messages or maybe email - make sure the email looks legitimate, an email that looks like email@example.com isn’t really trustworthy.
Things to ensure you are NOT being scammed:
- Make sure you are speaking to a real person.
- Once contact has been made, speak to the breeder directly either a phone call or facetime (be sure to check where the call is being made - from an area code, australian mobile? This will tell you it's legitimate, don’t trust a number that looks international).
- Ask the breeder for pictures or videos of the pup and the parents, be sure the quality is okay in the pictures (don’t know about you but everyone i know owns an iphone or an android with a good quality camera these days - If they look like they’ve been taken from the internet, move on!)
- Ask friends and family for recommendations if they have previously bought or know someone that owns a cavoodle.
- Ask them for their breeder identification number. The Breeder Identification Numbers start with the letter 'B' followed by 9 digits. The owner of an animal that has a litter must be recorded on the NSW Pet Registry as the first owner of each animal in that litter according to the Companion Animals Act 1998 in NSW.
- Ask if they are members of a breeding club, this means they agree to uphold their ethics, best practises and rigorous standards when breeding. Examples of memberships include RPBA (responsible pet breeders) or Ethical Pet Breeders Australian Registry https://www.ethicalpetbreeders.com.au/
- Are they Right Paw verified? This is a website purely set up in making sure finding a dog online is simpler, safer and more supportive.
- Ask for the microchip number or to speak to the vet clinic that has vaccinated the puppy and completed the Puppy Health check.
- Most scammers do not offer the option to pick up your puppy in person, ask if this option is available. This can occur at their home or other public location (this might be because they are worried about their puppies' safety and having people know where they live - its not always unusual).
- DO NOT deposit money into any accounts until you are certain you are not being scammed. DO NOT put money into any weird bank accounts, DO NOT send money via wire or money transfer. Especially do not deposit money into any ATM or perform card less cash. Do Not buy gift cards and provide people with numbers.
- On pick up ask to see the parents DNA test to make sure the breed is actually a cavoodle.
Cavoodle Breeders we deal with:
- Sydney Cavoodles - https://www.sydneycavoodles.net.au/
- Wollondilly Puppies - https://www.wollondillycavoodles.com.au/
- Cavoodled by Enza - https://www.instagram.com/cavoodled_by_enza/?hl=en
- Adelaide cavoodles - https://www.adelaidecavoodles.com.au/
- Ahernsdale Park Puppies - https://ahernsdaleparkpuppies.com/
- Vivid Cavoodles - https://www.facebook.com/Vivid-Cavoodles-100949778432028/
- Hidden Valley Cavoodles - https://www.hiddenvalleycavoodles.com.au/
- Sweet Ruby Cavoodles - https://www.sweetrubycavoodles.com/
Please note we are not verifiers of these breeders and have not met them in person, you need to do your own research if looking to buy a cavoodle.